The .Tel Domain Promotion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses

3 posters

Go down

5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses Empty 5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses

Post by Tely Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Submitting the URL of a site to online directories has been a viable SEO tactic as well as a well-justified promo practice since the early days of Internet marketing. It has been abused to an extent, too – most by unsavvy SEO newbies who sometimes think quantity over quality, and strive for quick SEO gains.

www.searchenginejournal.com/5-directory-submission-ideas-local-global-online-businesses
Tely
Tely
Junior
Junior

Warning level : 100 %

Back to top Go down

5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses Empty Re: 5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses

Post by Lostwithiel Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:27 am

An interesting post.

If you want to find high quality directories then look at     http://info.vilesilencer.com/blog/?p=442  Dan, who runs the site has done all the hard work outlined in the article quoted byTely.

However,  is it really still worthwhile in submitting to directories?  There have been  many articles on the web recently along the lines “SEO  is Dead – Social Media is where the action is now”

Also there is an interesting article here  http://bgr.com/2013/07/09/google-search-results-advertisements/  about how Google search results look on a mobile phone. If you get results like this on your phone is there any point in trying to improve your organic ranking?

Getting back on topic regarding dot tel sites – Has anybody noticed the ranking of their geo dot tel site being hit recently by social media and review sites?  Searching on google.co.uk for "Lostwithiel" now shows http://lostwithiel.tel near the bottom of page 2. A few weeks ago it was at the top of page two. The site has been forced lower by, among other sites, two entries for tripadvisor and a nationwide property site.  Anyone else seen a big jump in tripadvisor webpage ranking when checking their dot tel site in SERPS?

Regards,

Keith
Lostwithiel
Lostwithiel

Back to top Go down

5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses Empty Re: 5 Directory Submission Ideas for Local and Global Online Businesses

Post by TELwax Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 am

Keith, BTW, possibly related to your question, I am still puzzled about the positive efficiency of showing TripAdvisor contact details in directories, although no evidence therefore no offense...

While displaying TripAdvisor contact (sometimes unwished by small or independant low volume HoRest owners)  it might have opposite effect in ranking of a directory if the directory is making propaganda to TripAdvisor embarked bars or hôtels.
In other words, are you sure that you yourself did not trigger this lost of places by promoting indirectly TripAdvisor marked business places ?  http://trewithen.restaurants.where-to-eat-and-drink.lostwithiel.tel/ 
Another topic is that if your visitor after browsing to your site, vanishes away within the Tripadvisor washingmachine , you loose on 3 factors :
a) He is leaving out of your directory range of action , being aspired by further TripAdvisor mecanisms b)he might discover finally over business places than the one you promoted within your geo directory c) in case he goes still to this place finally, he is likely to book certainly through TripAdvisor booking partners with no advantage for you (unless your have affiiliation link to TripAdvisor, which I cannot see) .
So in the end, not sure how tripadvisor link+logo display helps in dot TEL the directory way.
For TELnames, even the same situation or worse ?
Unless some reference within TripAdvisor to the specific dotTEL /TLN of the said restaurant of course, which never seen nor investigated so far ...
Some clue ?
TELwax
TELwax
Junior
Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostwithiel Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 am

Dear Telwax

Thanks for comments,

I only recently added the TripAdvisor  link to www.lostwitheil.tel   The main reason I did it was  to add a bit of colour to the website. A long list of folders on the home page of the directory doesn’t look very exciting!!

I agree with you, quite a lot of small businesses don’t like TripAdvisor.  They believe that many of the reviews on the site are false, either added by other business owners or by people with a grudge.

On the individual  business pages of the directory I have only included establishments that are actively promoting TripAdvisor on their own websites.

I don’t think my own links to TripAdvisor can have raised their rankings in the SERPS. (Can a single dot tel site possibly carry that amount of influence?)  

I was also under then impression that information contained in the CONTACTS section of a dot tel site was not indexed by Google. Is this correct?  If the information doesn’t get indexed then surely it can’t pass link juice?

I will remove the link to TripAdvisor from the home page of the directory and see if the TripAdvisor rankings drop in the SERPS

Once again thanks for your helpful comments

Regards,

Keith
Lostwithiel
Lostwithiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down